Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Hawaii Day 1

Okay, I won't bore any of you with flight stuff. Let's just say it was long enough to watch Toy Story 3, The Karate Kid, 30 Rock, Glee, and The Office and still have a couple hours to kill. Vaguely hungry.

When we checked into the hotel, I found an ABC store (the island's version of Starbuck's, fighting with Starbuck's for island domination), got some Theraflu and a box of tissues, and crawled into bed.

The next morning, Jack and Mom got up all bright-eyed and bushy tailed, and I was running a fever. Sooooooo, Mom and Jack hit the beach and did a walking tour of Waikiki, while I dosed up again and slept. About 4 hrs. later, they returned and I was well enough to venture out.

We went to the beach down from our hotel (Waikiki Aqua Wave), and got in the water to flush some salt water up my nose (nature's little neti pot). The water was AMAZING! Crystal blue and active. We had a fantastic time. Then we came back to the hotel, changed clothes and drove up to Diamondhead.

Not realizing the amount of exertion I was about to endure, we got all jazzed to hike up Diamondhead. Mom was a bit tuckered from her hike with Jack, so she stayed at the base and took pictures. Jack and I walked. And walked. And walked. And then we climbed. And climbed. And climbed. The literature is either not really clear about the sheer number of stairs we had to climb (steep, endless, and occasionally spiral), or we ignored it, but whatever the case, we TOTALLY underestimated the amount of work involved in the climb to the top.

Sweaty and exhausted, we reached the top, took some fantastic pictures, then made a rapid descent to the bottom, greeting suckers in flip flops and dresses on the way up with a smile. Mom met us at the bottom with some fresh cut pineapple spears and off we drove to take photos of the landscape. Hawaii is a photographer's dream! I'll try to add some more pictures as I go but this is the view we ended our evening with.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: