Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Year's at Home

New Year's turned out to not be the nightmare it could have been. Hubby and I were planning the day to be fun and relaxed. Got up and went to check out thge cold I haven't addressed since early December (because who sees a doctor for the sniffles?!?) but has lingered on in various forms since then. Well after a steroid shot and 2 prescriptions for congestion, I made it home to go shopping with the hubby at Half Priced books. 2 hours later and home again to create some spinach pastries and clean the house.

Okay, here's the dramatic part...our guests are hosting actual family (cousins, not the gay family we consider ourselves). One is a cousin and she came witha friend and 2 bfs from the mountains of Virginia. My first concern was the disclaimer "You told them about us, right?" Oh sure...we told them. "Your hillbilly cousins are coming?" By hillbilly, they meant the 2 boyfriends are or were klansmen and they have issues with gays. For some reason, gay women are okay, but gay men might rape 'em up the butt. Whatever.

I don't know about you, but this would have been the equation: 2 gay men, 2 gay women, of which there was 2 Jews and 1 Black man, 2 girlfriends and 2 Klansmen. Klansmen. Like, "I truly wore a pointy sheet on top of my head because Blacks and minorities are keeping me down" Klansmen. I, being the Black man, was less than thrilled. I can pretty much get past ALOT of character flaws, hell...I befriended and am still friends with many a dyed-in-the-wool Republican, but they never wanted to kill me, drag me from the back of a truck, or hang me just because I exist.

Thankfully, knowing our general discomfort, the girls had posited MANY options and the group ended up going bootscooting at Billy Bob's. Crisis averted. I just didn't have the energy to spend the night trying to win over racists in my own house. "All my life I had to fight. I had to fight my daddy. I had to fight my brothers. But. I. Never. Thought I'd have to fight in my own house!"

The girls came over about 9pm and we ate some yummy spinach puff pastries, then got on a Wii marathon and now I have one addicted to American Idol Karaoke and 2 addicted to Guitar Hero. Mission accomplished and a wonderful night had by all involved. Yeah!

Happy New Year everyone. May 2009 be a wonderful year of change and happiness in your homes and in America.

No comments: